Outlining is a very important part of writing any sort of manuscript. Outlining is an efficient method to help the writer with organizing his/her ideas in a logical manner. Even when it comes to writing a speech, regardless of the purpose, one should sketch an outline to get a general framework of his/her speech. It is often observed that speeches that are composed without having a general outline lack not only a logical structure but also lack fluency or efficiency. That being said, one must learn how to write a speech outline in order to put together a fluent and persuasive speech.
- In order to craft a powerful speech it is essential that one must understand the important elements that a typical speech contains. Just like any other written material a speech also consists of an introduction that informs the audience about the main subject matter of the speech. An introduction tells the audience why they should heed to this speech. Or, why it is so significant? The introduction must present the main points of the speech.
After the introduction you move on to the body section where you have to present the main points in a detailed manner along with some supports facts or evidence. Finally, in the conclusion you summarize your whole speech and leave your audience with something to remember.
- There are different sorts of methods that can be used to structure your speech. Determine what type of pattern would be fitting and create your outline in accordance with it. Take a look at the following examples:
• Informative style: This particular type of pattern is suitable for informative speeches where you have to present numerous important points.
• Advantage or disadvantage style: This style is suitable only when you have to present advances and disadvantages of a subject matter.
- Now create your speech outline starting with the introduction. To list down the important points that you want to include in the outline you must have substantial resources available on it. To explain those points in detail you should have a complete knowledge of those points. You will need to start your speech with an attention-grabbing line. Also, include the central point of your speech in the introduction outline.
- Now come to the speech outline of your speech’s body section. The body of the speech is intended to present all the main points of the subject matter in a comprehensive detail. Those details need to be supported by anecdotes or facts and figures. At times, it is recommended to use illustrations or visuals in order to make a powerful impact on your audience and show them that you have come prepared.
Before proceeding to the outline of the conclusion, make sure that each point in the body is covered with all the necessary details.
- Keep in mind that conclusion is not only the summary of your speech but it also highlights all the important points again in order to carve those points in the minds of the audience. Close your conclusion with something that will make the audience remember your speech.