Internship programs offer a golden opportunity to college students to acquire work experience in their particular field before graduation. Also, completing an internship program can help a student to decide whether a particular career is the right fit or not.
In this competitive era, an internship program gives students an upper hand over other prospective candidates who do not have relevant work experience in any industry. Employers usually prefer to hire interns not only because they work for them for little or no pay but also because they don’t need additional training as they already have work experience. Most of the time, employers prefer to recruit former interns who have acquired experience from their company. Sometimes employers also offer a full-time job opportunity to those interns who have shown their worth or potential during the internship program.
Nonetheless, take into account the following effective tips to acquire an internship in the industry you prefer.
• First of all, it is necessary to determine why you need an internship. Is it because you need funds to continue your graduation? Is it because you need academic credit? Or, is it because you want to earn career-related work experience?
• Next important step is to identify the prospective employers. For that you need to do research on prospective recruiters through their company’s website. Thanks to the internet, almost every company has its official website. You can use their website to see their prospectus and learn more about their employers, company’s ethics and goals. Moreover, you can also use yellow pages or local newspapers to find relevant organizations.
• Subscribe to potential job listing websites for upcoming job opportunities.
• Craft a resume to let the employers know about your qualification, academic achievements and potential skills. Remember that a compelling resume can present your skills and potential in a most distinguishing manner. Submit your resume along with an engaging cover letter to maximize your internship chances. Ask someone to take a look at your cover letter and resume and see if it requires any room for improvement.
• Be prepared for interviews. Keep practicing so that you can keep your confidence up on the day of interview. Learn some effective tips from your seniors such as father, elder brother or a friend who have already gone through these prerequisites to get a job. Practice before a mirror to see what gestures may help you with impressing the employer.
• In case you are seeking a non-career related internship, you may be given a job application which you need to fill and return to the company. Ensure that you complete the application properly and fill all the necessary details.
• Show your enthusiasm or interest for the job by following-up all interviews. Always try to send an email to the company to express your gratitude.
• Always try to find only those internship programs that are right for you. Remember that in today’s cut-throat competition in the job market, a relevant internship can really make the difference.
Well, all the secrets of acquiring an internship have been exposed. Now it is up to you how you would use these effective tips to acquire an internship and start your professional life.